Publishing can be a little confusing and scary at first. Between old blog posts with outdated info, the ever-shifting publishing landscape, and varying advice, it can be hard to know what path to pursue or how to get started at all.
Nowadays, there are tons of knowledgeable professionals online who know the ins and outs of publishing. If you know you want to self-publish but aren’t sure where to start, working with a self-publishing coach might be right for you.
What is self-publishing coaching?
If you work with a self-publishing coach, you’ll be hiring an industry expert who can walk through the process with you. They can help you choose the right publishing platform for your goals, choose keywords, outline book launch activities, and even help you upload your files.
A self-publishing coach won’t do the work for you, but they will share their expertise to guide you through the process and teach you more about self-publishing.
What individual coaches offer will vary, but if you’re interested in working with a self-publishing coach, there’s someone out there for you.
Should you hire a self-publishing coach?
Whether you should hire a self-publishing coach or not depends on a few questions:
- Do you want to self-publish? If you don’t, then no, don’t hire a coach for it!
- Do you think you want to self-publish? If you’re leaning toward self-publishing, booking a single call with a self-pub coach could help you get answers to your remaining questions.
- Do you understand the ins and outs of self-publishing? If you already have a good grasp on self-publishing, you may not want to hire a coach. If you need help with marketing, that money could be better spent on marketing coaching/assistance.
- Does self-publishing feel overwhelming? If so, then hiring a coach can make this process smoother and less daunting. You’ll have a knowledgeable guide to go on the journey with you.
- Do you want access to an expert instead of reading a ton of articles and blog posts to try to figure it out yourself? You can learn a lot on your own, but sometimes it’s easier (and more efficient!) to ask for help.
- Do you have the budget to invest? Hiring a self-publishing coach doesn’t have to break the bank, but it’s also not something to expect for cheap or for free. If you don’t have the budget, see if the coach has a blog or social media presence where you can learn more while sticking to your budget.
Not everyone needs to hire a self-publishing coach, but it could be a wise investment if any of the above Q&A was relatable.
Many coaches offer different tier packages, and some offer single sessions in the event you don’t need a ton of coaching. Do your research and talk to a few coaches to see if they’re the right fit for your needs.
What I do with my clients
As a self-publishing coach, these are the things I work on with my clients:
- Analyze their keywords and categories and making suggestions to improve their choices
- Walk them through the upload process for IngramSpark, Amazon’s KDP, and other platforms
- Help them decide on a price for their book(s)
- Design a pre-launch schedule of activities and tasks to keep them organized
- Purchase and organize ISBNs
- Answer questions about self-publishing
If you think self-publishing coaching might be for you, fill out my contact form to get in touch. I’ll get back to you within a few days to discuss your project and set up a free 15-minute consultation.